Monday, October 1, 2007

A Foreign Wound

There are so many experiences to be had...BUT WHY DEY GOTTA HURT! I'll have to get to that after I catch up with what happened before. As many of you know I opened the show last week. Rehearsals was a slow and kinda stressful process but thankfully it's over. I opened the show Wednesday, September 26th, 2007. I was "A shift" that day which means the other singer that I share the show with was there until his shift. "A shift" does the 1st three shows and the B shift does the last two. We alternate that schedule on the weekends. The days I'm off he works all day and vice-versa. Now the schedule is 11:20am call time with shows at 12:20pm, 2:10, 3:40, 5:40, and at 7:10pm. When you are shifted you have to be there all day even though you are not performing which is crazy to me but those are the rules! Speaking of rules. The Japanese have alot of them and some of the time they make no sense but are followed not knowing why. That's the culture and it is hard to accept sometimes. Americans think different and I noticed by the way I have reacted to some of these rules that we are used to having our way. We are little spoiled I am going to have to say. I tried to get Sunday's off so that I can go to church but they wouldn't have it. I even had a meeting with E-Productions who works strictly with the foreign performers and is our link to anything that has to do with work and our well-being here. The meeting was pointless and even though my points were strong and clear they said no. They told me these are the rules and the only days off you can have are from Monday-Thursday. I smiled and said well it was okay. I thanked them for their time and went my way. I understand(kinda) and am willing to follow the rules with out making a big stink while I'm here. As it is I think I can make the first hour of church and still make it to work on time. Sorry, for that tangent but I think I had to get that off my chest :) Where was I? Oh, opening! It went well for the most part it was flawless and not too many mistakes. The next day it rained and I had to give a cancellation greeting speech. Remember that our Theatre is outdoors. The cancellation speech is done when they let the audience in and then it starts to rain or the wind picks up so much that we can't perform. The singers and the characters go out and say the show is cancel. We do a little greeting and song that takes all of 5 minutes. I was nervous cause I only looked at that speech only the night before. But it went well. I also got to do a halfway cancel speech for the 3rd show. That is when you start to do the show then due to inclement weather we cancel the show at the end of a number. So with my first to days of performing I had every situation that is possible. So when it comes up again it will be no problem. Last night it rained all day long and we did no shows. I didn't have to do the speeches cause they cancelled the shows even before they let people in the theatre seating area. So we hung out all day doing nothing. It was kinda cool but I would much have rather been home. After the first day, we had an Opening/Sayonara party for those new people coming in which were 3 of us. Me, a new girl dancer, and a returning percussionist. It was also for those who were leaving. The singer I was replacing and a drummer. We had the party at a restaurant near E-Village where we live. I had a great time and had my 1st experience with SUKIYAKI...which is a very traditional dish and very GOOD! Here are some pictures and video of the opening night party.



So as I explained opening went well. The 2nd day was unexpected with all those cancellations but gave me the experience I needed for future cancellations. The 3rd day was when it all went down! Hopefully the last bad day in a while. It actually starts the night before. As I come home from work I turn on my computer to check my email and watch some Prison Break on DVD when I notice that my adapter is not working. I looked at my adapter and the cord somehow was frayed and clearly dead. I was so mad! So I only had like an hour of computer time before it would shut down. I knew I had to get an adapter but I didn't know where to go. I was going to ask when I got to work the next day. The morning comes and as I walk out the door with my I-pod in hand and noticed it was frozen and not working. I knew the battery was full cause I charged it all night. Then it turns on for a brief moment and then freezes again. It does this the whole way to work and by this time I am frustrated to the max and want to yell really loud something horrible in a crowded subway. I knew no one would know what I am saying but I am a DISNEY employee. I decide to hold in, take a deep breath and walked briskly to work. I get to work and know that I am "B shifted" and have a lot of time before I go on at 5:40pm. I have no computer to watch my Prison Break, I just finished The Kite Runner a book I have been reading and my Ipod was being stupid and not working properly. What was I to do. In the dressing room we have some exercise stuff. Like dead weights and the AB ROLLER. The culprit of the future scar I will have just below my chin. So having nothing to do this was my best option. Some of the guys were trying out this ab roller and I was interested how it worked cause I never done it before. So I go to try it and needless to say.....I go down to the ground and doing really well until it just slides back into me and I slam my chin on the ground. I lie there not knowing to think. All I knew was that I was in pain. I look up, cup my hand under my chin and watch the blood drip like a faulty faucet into my hands. I am just in shock and walk to the sink. I pour water over it and try to stop the bleeding with a paper towel. It keeps bleeding and by this time the Stage manager is in the room with the medical kit. She makes a face and applies a bandage that quickly turns red. I start feeling a little faint and I fall the the ground. I started to breath in and out slowly. I bust out in cold sweats. I hate the site of BLOOD! I am praying that I don't pass out. "Please Lord don't let me faint in front of these people over this minor cut!" How embarrassing! And I sure didn't know how to say "I'm fainting...please help!" in Japanese. 30 seconds went by and I was over it and I went to the bathroom to take a break. I was fine. I go back in the dressing room and lay down. The 1st show starts and I continue to rest. After the show I wake up and look at the cut. I have dried blood all over my neck now. the cut was still kinda bleeding. So I change the bandage, clean up and decide to go ask if I can have this checked out. I thought I might need stitches or get a better bandage. They call E-Productions and they send over someone to take me to a clinic. The clinic was in a 7-Eleven. I thought that was weird. You had to catch the elevator to the 4th floor. I get there and it just looks like a little hole in the wall with a lot of Asians just waiting to be seen. I get seen quickly and the doctors says I will need 3 stitches. He sows me up and the nurses put some bandages on it so that I can put make-up on it and perform the last 2 shows. Oh and the doctor also gives me antibiotics. lol! So dramatic, I know! So I get back to the stage and my stage manager doesn't want me to go on because he thinks the bandage is too distracting and the audience will notice it. I was like you have to be kidding me. I was thinking to myself that I can't be out for a whole week cause my little bandage under my chin is too noticeable. I tell them let me put make-up on it and then lets make a decision. I do and then they said it's fine. I perform the last 2 shows with out a problem. So needless to say my day was crazy and I was glad to get home that night. I was also told that I have to go back to the clinic everyday to get it bandaged up so that I can put make-up on it. I have to do this until I get it off this Thursday. A little annoying, yes! But I am glad it was only 3 stitches and not a broken jaw or something. So its been a couple days since that day of hell. My wound is healing nicely, I got a new adapter for my computer and I have plans to get a new IPod next month. I am really excited for that. Since I have been here I have gone on a real roller coaster ride but it is all going towards my experience here in Tokyo. I know I will look back at this time and smile. And when i look back in a mirror I will have a minor constant reminder underneath my chin of this precious time. My foreign wound that has healed into a beautiful memory. Well, until my next adventure and hopefully with out a doctor visit.

Tony

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

guess who's not allowed to do the ab roller anymore! the same thing happened to my ipod but i didn't go banging my face off the floor. you really need to find a better way to deal with your frustration. i recommend screaming on the subway next time! lol wow that all sounds so intense. when you get back to the city i'm going to need a visual demonstration of how this actually happened. sorry you had a bad day! hope you're having a better one today! love ya miss ya...KELLI

malia said...

Oh Tony! What a day, I tell you! I laughed so hard (not at your pain) but just at the luck you had with the ab roller. I am so sorry. Glad to hear that it is healing well though! :) And that stinks that they don't give you time off. I hope something will work out for you. But then again, you are right. This is an experience, isn't it. Oh and yeah! Don't you love Sukiyaki? I love it! :)