Monday, October 22, 2007

My New Toy



I got a NEW IPod!!!! My old one was acting funny. It kept freezing on me and not letting me listen to my music. I was already wanting to buy a new one with more GB so it was the perfect opportunity when my old IPod started to act the fool. I went to a MAC store in GINZA which is the biggest shopping area in Tokyo. I got the sleek Red IPod that is a(PRODUCT) RED Special Edition iPod model. Apple gives a portion of the purchase price to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. I hope they realy do that cause that would be really neat. While I was out I also ran into a Hard Rock Cafe where I had some lunch. Anyway, I have been playing with my IPod and one thing I am excited about is that it is a 8 GB which means I can put 1,500 more songs than my old 2 GB IPod. I guess it's an early Chirstmas gift to me. Or a Halloween Treat!

Here's a little update. Not much to report. The Shows have been going well. The other day on my day off I went to an ONSEN. An onsen is a Japanese hot spring. A volcanically active country, Japan has thousands of onsen scattered along its length and breadth. Onsen were traditionally used as public bathing places and today play a central role in directing Japanese domestic tourism.

Onsen presently come in many types and shapes including outdoor and indoor baths. Baths may be either public run by a municipality or private often run as part of a hotel, traditional inn or Bed and Breakfast.



There is an ONSEN one right by the apartment. The one I went to is both indoor and out door. And there are 2 parts. One part is the naked part which I didn't go to which is not co-ed but the outdoor part is co-ed and we have to wear bathing suits. All it really is are a couple of hotubs with a different scenic design, temperatures, and water type. For example I went into a hot tub that was a salt water bath and in another that was in a steam room. The Onsen feels like you are in a really styalized spa. Its really calming, picturesque, and therapeutic. They also have a section where they give massages, play arcades, and a food court. I got a fruit smoothie and a 40 min masssage that was well needed. After you leave the bathhouses you go to your locker and put on your Yukata to walk around. A YUKATA is a light robe(summer cotton Kimono) that looks like this:



I felt like a native while hanging with other Japanese peeps, "bathing" with them and wearing a traditional robe. It was a great experience and will be back again and again. I forgot to mention how ceap it is. The baic plat fee for the bathing part is only 1800 Y which is about $16 and you can stay as long as you want. The massages and food is extra.

Cultrue Corner:
I guess I could use the ONSEN as a huge part of the culture but I won't double dip with my experiences.

Here is one thing that is AWESOME that I love! There is no TIPPING here! Which means you can order what ever you want at a restaurant and not pay for tip. So what you add up in what you eat is all you have to pay for. You don't have to tip your hair dressers, bellboys, taxis, ANYBODY! Its really cool. So eating out is not that bad. I don't do it much but when I do I get really excited knowing that I don't have to me NO TIP!

On a more serious note I want to send my heartful prayers to those in California or with friends or relatives there who are dealing with those wild fires. My prayers and thoughts are with those who lost their homes or even loved ones. Natural disasters aren't forgiving! Living through Hurrican Andrew in '92 showed me that. I hope they get control of it sooner than later.

Have a Happy and safe Halloween to everyone!


Tony

1 comment:

malia said...

I am wickedly jealous of you for two reasons:

1) your new ipod is totally cool! i love the red. love that it has 8GB!!! and love that it is so small. i want a new one!

2) ONSEN! hello! i want to go soak in some of that! i love hot tubs. i aspire to be rich so that i can own one and so that i can get a massage every day. i think that would make me happy....