Saturday, November 3, 2007

"B(r)ess You"


So Halloween has past, the temperature is dropping and now here comes the Holidays. Halloween was fun. I worked all day and got to see the kids come dressed up. Not alot of people dress up here like in the states. It's more for those fans who are obsessed with the show to come wearing costumes from the show. Its crazy how close they get to copying the costumes. One day there was the cutest little Japanese boy maybe 4 years old at the most with my opening costume on and a toy mic. Every time I was on stage he would mimic every move I made and looked like he was singing his little heart out with mic in hand. The kid was so cute and his mom couldn't have been any prouder. It made my day for sure! After the show on Halloween I went to THE HUB which is a bar near by that the Disney employees like to frequent. It was actually my first time going to this famous bar I heard so much about. Everyone was dressed, drinking and having a good time. I got to meet more people which was good for me cause I feel like I know no one here. I went dressed as a SUICA CARD or SUICA MAN which is their subway pass card that most people use. It is equivalent I guess to the Metro Card in NYC. All I did for the costume was copied the logo which includes a random penguin onto a shirt with paint and a Sharpie then made some underwear and a cape. I had fun making it. It came out kinda ghetto but everyone seemed to be amused by it. I didn't enter the costume contest but I wouldn't have won anyways. Two guys went as Zoolander and Hansel form the movie Zoolander. They performed the whole "walk off" sequence from the movie that they memorized and and had down. It even included the pulling of the underwear from their pants. It was HILARIOUS! I was laughing so hard cause I love that MOVIE! Here's some pics of the Halloween party:



Thanksgiving, Christmas then New Years is coming. I am excited to see how all that is going to work over here in Asia. I am thinking Thanksgiving is going to be hard to come across a good turkey dinner. I also work all day that day. Hmmmm, maybe someone from church will invite me over after work. That would be great! I have Christmas eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Year's Day Off. They both just happen to land on a Monday and Tuesday which are my days OFF! Which could be scary....cause what am I gonna do?!?!? I am not going to even think about it. I think it would be fun to go over a family's house from the ward and watch the kids open their presents or something. I need to stop thinking about Christmas its so far away. It is just that Disney is already Christmas-ed out. The decorations are up and the music is playing. It's so insane. I thought America were the experts on commercializing Christmas but the Japanese have it DOWN!

Life here has been kinda plain. I've been having some back problems but its getting better I think. I went to the doctors and they gave me some meds and massages that have ben helping alot. The shows are going great. I really do like my show and have a lot of fun. It actually have been really rainy here and I had like 3 days where I didn't do much performing but alot of sitting around in the dressing room. Which is a good break from performing back to back. I bought this really good Japanese workbook. I have decided it was time to crack down and start learning the language. Its been fun learning and then putting it into practice. My cast has been really great with helping me out and letting me practice on them. It could get really annoying for them when I keep asking "What time is it?" "What is your phone number?" and "How much does that cost?" Maybe by the time I get back to the state I will be able to have a simple conversation in Japanese. Here's to hoping. I also been into my TV episodes. I am all caught up with Prison Break and now got into renting 24 which is AWESOME!!! I am loving it. I also downloaded some Kid Nation on youtube which is fun too. Anyway, that's all for now.

Culture Corner:
Something that I find that is kind of amusing is that the Japanese don't say anything when you sneeze. In the states we say "bless you" and in Spanish we say "Salud" which means health and in French they say "Sante" which means health also. But when you sneeze no one says anything and is kind of awkward for someone who is used to hearing "bless you." And the Japanese do sneeze it's not like they don't. My cast is sooo funny cause they adopted the phrase. When someone sneezes at work the say "bless you" cause they are used to having so many foreigners around. Even when another Japanese sneezes they say it but it is more like "Bress You." Its great to witness.

Also here is a cafe that I found walking around I couldn't help but laugh. For those of you that don't speak Spanish Moco means Booger. Cafe Booger! hahahahaha!



Take care and hope everyone had a nice and safe Halloween. Till next time!

Tony

3 comments:

malia said...

Hey Tony! Love your blog. It is really so fun to see all your pics and to hear about your adventures. I think your costume would have won for sure and I wish that i could have seen the "walk off". That would have been fun. I also loved the bit about the little boy coming dressed like that with his little mic in hand. That is so cute. And I think that you should try Cafe Moco just so that you can say that you have....

WhiteEyebrows said...

Every day is a new adventure for you! Good luck learning japanese... if nothing else, the people will love you for trying. I hope you can find somewhere to go or something to do on all those holidays! :(

The Lead Singer said...

Hey look... it's SUICA MAN! I don't have any idea what that really is, but you wear it well.

PS The guy in the Ugly Betty costume...brilliant!