Thursday, January 10, 2008

Blowing Smoke


I visited ASAKUSA a more traditional Japanese town in Tokyo with temples, Shrines, and a tourist shopping paradise. I went with my Japanese Mormon friend called Tomo. She was nice enough to show me around. After being a good tourist we had a traditional noodle soup called Soba. They usually have Soba at the beginning of the New Year. I loved IT! It was soooo GOOD! Here are some pictures:

A little foot bridge bridge that is over 400 years old.


A cool street off to the side.


The Big Temple in Asakusa


I have to explain this one. In front of the temple there is this fire gazebo and people waft(sp) the smoke over for the part of the body they want healing. Tomo said when she was a child her dad would waft the smoke on her head so she would be smart at school. She said it worked. She was a straight A student :) I tried to have the smoke cover my whole BODY!


Real Japanese people making fire for the Smoke Ritual


Underneath that statue was a troff of water where the Japanese would wash their hands before entering the temple.


A little shrine near the temple


The big shopping street in front of the temple that sold many neat Japanese trinkets. It reminded me a little of a cleaner more organized china town in NYC.


Me as a fat Japanese philosopher. hahaha.


Tomo as a French/Japanese limo driver???
\

Culture Corner:
So Buddhism is the major religion here in Japan. There are really into rituals and symbolism. Nowadays about 90 million people consider themselves Buddhists in Japan. However, the religion does not directly affect the everyday life of the average Japanese very strongly. Funerals are usually carried out in a Buddhist way, and many households keep a small house altar in order to pay respect to their ancestors.

2 comments:

malia said...

I love this post. I love the pictures. I love that you are out and about and that you are totally exploring and experiencing the culture there! Wonderful. I think it's just wonderful. :)

malia said...

I love this post. I love the pictures. I love that you are out and about and that you are totally exploring and experiencing the culture there! Wonderful. I think it's just wonderful. :)