Monday, January 21, 2008

How About A Shave...


Its Official. Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite musicals. I fell in love with it when I actually did a concert version of the show in Utah. I played M. Pirelli. I really loved that role for reasons I can't really disclose cause if you haven't seen it it will spoil the movie for you. I also enjoyed the character. He is bigger than life and who doesn't like acting stiff like that. I saw the movie tonight and I loved it! It was a fuse of 2 genres that I love the most. Horror and Musicals. It was brilliant. Tim Burton = Brilliant. I did have some issues with the movie. Some of the singing voices weren't my favorite. Johnny Depp was so good though. I really enjoyed his voice 'cause it was grounded and powerful. I have to warn you that there is alot of blood in this movie. I am still trying to figure out the reasoning behind the almost comedic blood spills in the movie. In a way I liked the contrast it was with the muted really dark cinematography. But it was really really gruesome. I guess thats what makes it a horror movie. Honestly I am not sure it is categorized as a horror. I think its more of a thriller/suspense/drama. Which genres I enjoy also. Well, I didn't want to make this a review but I really liked the movie.

So things are kinda drab. Nothing really exciting going on. I have been trying to stay indoors as much as I can. On my days off I have been running errands and taking class at Broadway Dance Center here in Tokyo. I have taken class from really great teachers. Some from NY. I have also met some cool Japanese dancers. I was invited to dinner dinner with a Hip-Hop teacher and some people from class next week. The teacher is actually Nick Gonzalez. He is Puerto Rican! Wha wha!!! We talked alittle and he is a very nice guy. He was telling me all the things he has done. So AMAZING! Apparently, he and Brian Friedman are TIGHT. He got noticed when he was on So You Think You Can Dance seasons 1 and 2. I don't rememer him but I believe him. Brian saw him and hooked him up with jobs sooon after he was kicked off. He has been teaching all across the world. I am excited to pick his brain and maybe he can hook me up with a job somehow/somewhere down the road. You never know. He is also hooking me up with alot of HOT music. He's gonna make me a CD of the music he uses in his class. So DOPE! I don't usually use that word but hip-hoping it today got me all ghettoized. It is in my blood. Lets be honest! Today we danced to Janet's new song "Feedback." It is such a HOT song. Download it if you haven't already. Alright I am tired. I am gonna be really sore tomorrow. PEACE Yo!

Culture Corner:
Japanese don't leave the movie theatre until the credits are all DONE. I think they consider it rude and dangerous. Rude cause it's considerate to wait until the movie is completely over. And dangerous cause everything is so dark. I dunno. I am just guessing. So I stayed as long as I could until I had to get up and leave. I guess I haven't turned all Japanese just yet.

1 comment:

Livi said...

I could totally see you playing that part Tony! I hope all is going well in Japan. We miss you tons.