Friday, May 29, 2009

The Onion.


On on my 3rd here in Germany and I am loving it. It definitely been exhausting. I am still a little Jet-lagged, I am sore from class everyday. Oh yeah, we take class everyday before rehearsal and every show once we open. Either Ballet or a stretch class. Its going to be good for me. I am so out of dance shape. Anyway, the show i going well. We actually did a full run through of the show yesterday. My second day of rehearsal. It went pretty well I think. At least that is what the Director said. I felt good about especially when I was just taught everything the day before. I had a few mess-ups but overall its getting there. We are going to continue run-throughs until Sunday then we leave on Monday for SaarLouis, Germany for tech rehearsal. I do belive we have some preview performances there also. I am having an amazing time working with the cast and Director. Joey Mcneely(the DIrector) is amazing and really know how to get you in a scene. Let just say I have been crying and in a crazy emotional place for my scnenes for the past 2 days. My character does witness a murder....2 murders, gets his heart broken, and kills a guy. He is kind of an emotional wreck. Its going to be a challenge as an actor to keep it up but I am excited and ready for it.
The Bakery I've been to twice. Dangerous!

So since I've been here I have been waking up pretty early. And so I decided to go for walks around this quint little town. I took pictures my first day here. I found a great church and Wishing Well. I loved it. I even made a wish of my own. This morning I found a little fresh market down by the town square. I decided to buy some cherries to snack on for rehearsal. Trying to communicate is really hard since I speak NO German. But they are kind and helpful. The kind lady that was patient with me while I tell her how many cherries I wanted gave me a gift before I left. After I paid and she handed me my fruit she passed me a huge green onion I think it was. And I gave her a face like I didn't want one of these. But she insisted I take it. So I firgured it was a gift for me from her. I grabbed it and then thought what the heck am I going to do with this onion. I don't have a kitchen. I am not going to eat it raw. Who can I give this to? So then I tried ot give it away to a random lady in the market but she didn't want it. I bet she saw this weird American trying to give a away this random onion. Probably thought I was some sort of lune walking the streets. I thought maybe she will take it cause its a costum to give away onions to complete strangers or something. But no luck. So I took a picture of it and threw it away.
The Wishing Well in town.
Me and my 5cent Euro making a wish

I think that onion represents something maybe it's the universe giving back to me what I am putting out there. Since I am out here on tour in random countries with random languages, cultures and people I decided I want to experience it all to the fullest. I want to learn and grow as a human being by opening myself to the possibilities of what is out there. I truly believe that we are better people when we experience how others do things, communicate, eat, breathe, or jsut live. That onion made me smile. Even though I couldn't use it and it was stinky. I knew it was probably a way for that lady to communicate to me that she was appreciating my business but I took it as she was telling me that everything will be ok. That I will get the hang things out here. Not only do I hope to continue getting back from others but that I can also be the giver. To not be jaded and bitter but to love and give back anyway I can to those around me.
The Onion

3 comments:

~*Alina*~ said...

I think those are leeks, dear. Glad rehearsal is going well! I wish I could come there to see the show.

WhiteEyebrows said...

Love it!

Onions are a good omen, I think. They make you stink. Maybe you should use it for your character. Maybe your chino works in the onion farms and comes home smelling like onions every day. So you should rub fresh onion on yourself every day.

This would all make sense except for WSS takes place in NYC... where there are no onion farms... ugh! so much for that theory...

Anonymous said...

Love the story....who know what the onion meant, make it your own. You made everyone here at work laugh, we needed it today. Glad you're o.k. take it all in & enjoy every moment of your journey.

Love ya,

Big Sis